Fall season, always make me prone to Influenza.
Generally, 3 kinds of ways out other people choose from when they see it coming
- Do Nothing. As according to them, it will go away after ruining our routines for a few days
- Counter it with swiftly acting Antibiotics, Pain relievers and Nasal sprays with under cover side effects to our bodies
- Turn to nature’s antibiotics for instance, Garlic and honey.
What I do to counter flu attack
- First in the morning, eat garlic clove with teaspoon honey 15 min before breakfast.
- Take a cup of hot tea or coffee with ginger or cinnamon or clove extract or a pinch freshly grounded.
- Apply Vicks vapor rub or Euclyptus Oil in nostrils for you might not have time to take steam or like to apply topically on forehead or neck area.
- Physical Activity increases immunity. Running, jogging or any activity that spike my heart rate and blood flow to nasty canals in my nose area :’D By that, I mean more frequent flow of white blood cells (our immune army) to the effected area to fight invading enemies.
- Look for Vitamin C supplements (guava, kiwi, lemons depending on how you want to consume)
- Chilli peppers? Yes! Sprinkle over breakfast eggs or omelet and on salads in lunch/dinner. Capsaicin, a key ingredient in peppers is an effective pain reliever, stimulates mucus membranes of nose and sinuses. Bye Bye Congestion (Nose blockage).
- Don’t overdo anything except sips of warm water. Balanced intake is essential.
Based on how much intense my I suspect the its incoming, I repeat 2, 3, 5 during lunch time
Repeat 2 & 3 right before night sleep. To avoid caffeine intake, you may skip coffee/tea as ingredient and add a pinch of turmeric or garlic for added benefits. Adjust proportion according to your taste. Though a little compromise today with taste buds may let you enjoy moments tomorrow.
To some people caffeine causes insomnia (sleeping problem) so better avoid this and enjoy good night sleep with above recipe.
Repeat every day until symptoms go away 😊
Some Other things I do for additional benefits:
- Enjoy hot drinks of your choice. I like Green tea with infused lemon. Flavonoids in tea act as precaution to flu and infections.
- Drink plenty of fluids (preferably water) over all. Avoid ice colds.
- Avoid colder temperatures. Sudden switch between airconditioned room and outdoor also triggers headache and flu attack.
- In summers, if office environment is too cold for you, best option is keeping extra jacket around your desk.
- Check humidity levels. Flu Viruses don’t like humidity. So, it good to add humidifier on your desk or bedside as a precaution at least during the season.
- Adding 3-4 drops Lavender or Eucalyptus essential oils to diffuser soothe nerves and clear our breathing route. Did you know, Vicks vapor rub also contains eucalyptus extracts?
Note: These tips are based on my personal experience and may not suite to everyone.