In recent times, when our malls, markets, and streets are being populated with ice cream parlors, it becomes essential to brush up our selection skills. It is critical when there are well-known companies making ice creams out of even difficult-to-read ingredients to attract consumers versus vendors putting in all hard work with perfection into their product live.
A little scoop of History
From 500 BC Persia to today world, the species of ice cream has evolved much faster than humans itself. Those days, ice cream started as a simple blend of frozen dairy and fruit or blossom waters, an exotic meal only affordable by royals. Time added more smoothness, creaminess, and richness to it while the only thing it lost meanwhile is price so everyone today can enjoy.
What makes a Scoop?
An ice cream scoop is an amazing but complex mixture of
- Milk Powder
- Lipids (Fats)
The right proportion is essential along with mixing mechanism. For instance, air ingredient of ice cream in right amount equally contributes to the premium indulgence. We may understand it from the fact how hard is it to chew an ice cube versus a scoop of whipping cream.
A day without ice cream was a day wasted, Iain Pears
Inspecting a Scoop?
Knowing what it takes to make an ice cream scoop, we can better compare scoop to scoop for ultimate taste and pleasure. Things to consider are
- Appearance: Color and Ingredient distribution should be uniform. If color is getting darker or lighter on a single flavor scoop, don’t appreciate it. So does the distribution of fruits or nuts in the scoop. If the first bite was sweet and second was sweeter then you made a bad choice.
- Flavor: Right vendor matches the color to its flavor and aroma, if not, move on.
- Body: It takes no teeth to enjoy an ice cream bite. If it does, we are probably eating just flavored ice.
- Texture: Freezing process makes pointed crystals which should not be visible in case of an ice cream. Plus, it shouldn’t feel curdy in the mouth.
- Melting: Hey, hold on ice cream scoop ice cream scoop until I eat you!
The Perfect Scoop
A survey from GNT group about people, showed that most of them look for following
- Ingredients: Hidden ingredients is a big NO NO. 45% people avoid artificial colors, sweeteners, and preservatives.
- Nutritional Information: 66% check information on the package while more than 20% want clarity in nutritional information and 44% try avoiding fatty products.
- Color: One-third of ice cream buyers are convinced by color. Color makes them set expectations on flavor and aroma.
- Calories: only 12% care about calories. C’mon people, why? 😛
- Price: Half of the ice cream consumers care about the price whereas, parents make the majority of another half.
Usually, it is seen that some vendors instead of new flavors innovate eye-catching looks and geometry which works! A scoop that seems mouthwatering is perceived to taste heaven, and our buds become more receptive when the brain intents to indulge.
I’d rather be at home and eat ice cream than go out and get wasted, Taylor Swift
Picture Courtesy of @Yawar_Hayat at Roffles Pakistan