Whether it’s your first tour in a foreign country or you’re a globetrotter, it’s always helpful to know what things you need to pack. Here’s an ultimate guide of the items you may want to carry with you on your next trip.
The basics and most important things when flying internationally are the supporting documents duh!
- Passport (original and photocopy)
- Identity document (ID)
- Insurance – health and travel
- International license (optional)
- Travel tickets (print or e-ticket)
- Hotel reservation copy, email
- Other booking documents – event tickets, passes, restaurant reservations email etc
2. Clothing items and accessories:
This is a general list of clothes but an actual number of clothes to pack will depend on the number of days you are going to stay.
- T-shirts, Tank tops, long shirt (whatever is your style)
- Jeans/pants, tights/trouser, shorts/skirts (again your choice and preference)
- Dresses – keep in mind the culture and traditions of the visiting place.
- One or two jackets/sweaters/coats – depending on the climate where you’re going.
- Comfortable pair of walking shoes are necessary – flip-flops if going to beach
- Socks – at least 3 pairs including one comfy pair of socks during the flight.
- Towel/face cloth – it’s better to have your own facial cloth rather than depending on the hotel towels
- A comfortable sleeping suit
- Jewelry (minimal jewelry is recommended)
- Sunglasses or contact glasses (lens)
- Handbag, clutch, backpack
- Scarf, gloves (optional)
- Headband, clip
All the liquids, lotions, creams, pastes and gels in the carry-on luggage should be 100 ml (3.4 ounces) or less and must be in a clear plastic bag according to Transportation security administration (TSA). To get more information on this visit TSA rule
- Toothpaste, toothbrush
- Shampoo, conditioner
- Body wash or soap
- Hand sanitizer
- Cotton pads, tissue paper
- Face wash, cleanser
- Nail clipper, filer, scissors (optional)
- Hairbrush, comb
- Shaving kit
- Feminine hygiene products
- Deodorant or perfume
4. Skincare items
Again all the lotions, creams and liquids should be 100 ml (3.4 ounces) or less if you are taking these in your hand carry or handbag TSA rule.
- Sunblock – so important as you’ll spend most of your time outside.
- Makeup items – Foundation, Blush, Bronzer, Highlighter, Lipstick, Lip liner, Eyeliner, Mascara, Eyeshadow kit, Eyebrow kit (it’s completely optional – the less the better)
- Chapstick or lip balm – it will be helpful in the plane when lips usually dry
- Makeup brushes, beauty blender
- Makeup remover
- Hand cream, lotion
5. Electronic devices and accessories
Nowadays no one can leave his/her house without one’s gadgets. These are necessities now so here is a list of items that basically everyone takes with them during vacations.
- Cell phone, tablet, laptop – put these in your hand carry.
- Chargers of all devices
- Camera, lenses, camera charger – hand carry luggage
- Extra battery, memory card
- Selfie stick, tripod stand
- Adapters – buy a universal adapter, it will help you in your other trips too.
6. Miscellaneous items
- Credit card
- Cash – some cash of the visiting country/s should be on hand.
- Sim card
- Dictionary or local phrases book – it is always a good idea to learn simple phrases when going to a foreign country with a language you didn’t know. Also in a lot of countries, not everyone can speak and understand English.
- Planner/journal/diary and don’t forget the pen to write in these
- Map, travel guidebook – along with google maps, a paper map is always useful to have.
- Umbrella (optional)
- Water bottle
- House keys, car keys – obviously if all family members are going on the trip then carefully put these keys in your handbag or handover it to any trustworthy friend or relative.
- Books or Kindle is a great source of passing time when waiting at the airport or during a long flight.
- Wet bag or laundry bag to put wet or dirty clothes.
- Luggage tag – write your name and contact information in case you lose your luggage
- Basic medicine kit like painkillers, bandages, antiallergic pills, stomach medicines, travel sickness pills, prescribed medicines, multivitamins, basic first aid kit
- Sewing kit (optional)
To download the printable packing checklist click here
Best of luck for your next expedition.